Landlord Guide


  1. You will be the Landlord, not the agent
  2. You should obtain the permission of your Building Society.
  3. You should retain responsibility for maintaining all insurances.
  4. You will be responsible for all repairs.
  5. Expenditure on maintenance/repairs are tax deductible.
  6. You will need to pay your ground rent.
  7. Decoration should be clean and presentable
  8. All carpets should be left clean.
  9. If the garden is to be maintained by the tenants they should be left well cared for and secure, serviceable garden tools should be provided.
  10. Gas & Electric meter readings should be taken prior to the tenant moving in
  11. You may be responsible for payment of water rates unless a water meter is fitted.
  12. You will be responsible for the Council Tax when the property is unoccupied


  1. You should be aware of the provisions and comply with the terms contained within the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations Act 1994. (See overleaf for more information
  2. You should be aware of the provisions and comply with the terms contained within the Gas safety (Installation and Use) Regulations Act 1994.                   (See overleaf for more information.
  3. Smoke alarms mandatory and CO2 detectors are strongly advised


  1. You should be aware of the Fire and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 & 1993) and the provisions it contains.                                      (See overleaf for more information
  2. Furniture should be clean and presentable.
  3. Adequate cutlery , crockery and cooking utensils should be provided.
  4. No sheets, towels etc are necessary.
  5. In vacant property the fridge/freezer should be left off with the door open


  1. You will need to provide an Energy Performance Certificate to show prospective tenants, they are valid for 10yrs.
  2. The damage deposit paid by tenants must be secured in a protected scheme as part of the Housing Act 2004. The Deposit Protection service provides this facility for FREE and can resolve disputes if required.
  3. We would advise that all external doors be fitted with five lever mortice locks. It is also advisable to ensure that all windows care fitted with window locks.
  4. Housing benefit is a benefit paid to individuals who wish to rent a property but who do not have sufficient income to cover the rent. The benefit is paid to the tenants who then pay the landlord. In extreme cases the payment can be made direct to the landlord


From 1st January 1997 any furniture in the property is covered by the Fire and Furnishings Regulations 1988, 1989 & 1993

Any furniture owned and provided by the tenants is not covered by the regulations.

If you purchase furniture from persons selling in the course of a business then that furniture should already comply fully with the regulated requirements. However, experience has shown that much of the furniture sold by second hand dealers may not comply.

It is not easy to determine by external examination only, whether or not furniture does not comply with the regulations. However, any furniture that does comply would have originally been sold with a permanent label stitched in headed “Carelessness Causes Fire”


If Electrical equipment is supplied then it must be safe. This applies to items such as kettles, televisions, cookers Etc

The law does not stipulate that you have to have each item of electrical equipment tested. However it is strongly recommended that you should consider having items tested to protect your tenant from danger and yourself from prosecution and/or civil action. Make sure any test carried out identifies clearly the equipment tested and keep such test reports for your own reference.

We strongly advise that all Mains wiring, sockets and fuse boxes are checked prior to a tenant entering the property


All new and second-hand gas appliances must be safe and have clear instructions and warnings appropriate to their safe use

Landlords must ensure that all gas appliances and flues are maintained and checked for safety at least every 12 months. You must also keep records of maintenance and safety checks and make this information available to tenants, on request.